Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"The Lost Mandate" Reflection

This is my journal response to an article I read entitled, "The Lost Mandate." I have attached the article in case you would like to read it.


My response to this journal article is, “Wow and Amen!” I have recognized the importance of reaching out to those with special needs, but I have never likened this population to an unreached people group. I think it is accurate and sadly, this analogy may spring people into action. I say “sadly” because ‘unreached people-group’ tends to warrant a more drastic and urgent response than simply, a ‘lost’ person; I find that sad. My favorite excerpt from this reading is as follows:

“Aside from death, perhaps humans fear nothing more than being confronted with  disabilities—God’s living physical object lessons of who we really are without Him (ill, weakened, wounded, unsure, feeling incomplete, disabled).  We fear that this could happen to us or our loved ones.  I am told that the first thing most mothers do with their newborn babies, once alone with their little ones, is to check to make sure all the parts are there, that their baby is complete.  Our world, especially western culture, wants life to be in a tidy, cute bundle of love and perfection.  We are an analgesic-driven culture, a beauty-is-skin-deep people, reaching for the nearest pill or cosmetic surgeon to minister to our slightest fears of pain or imperfection.  And if we can’t do that, we pump up our Facebook profile, put others down, or watch a reality show that makes us seem better than ―that person.‖  

Let’s just face up to it.  All of us as humans are broken.  Apart from Christ we are simply not whole.  All our parts are not present.  Even as Christ’s redeemed, we Christians are still under reconstruction by the Lord Jesus.  Being confronted with such visible object lessons of brokenness, weakness, and vulnerability causes us to marginalize such people, for we are prone to marginalize our own brokenness and sin.  The only remedy for sin is receiving the Good News of Jesus Christ (Romans 3:23-26) in word and deed.  The ensuing redemption (repair work) that follows is in a lifelong commitment to Christ.”


I love that the author recognizes our habit of marginalizing our own brokenness and sin. I think what is most threatening and unnerving to people about those with special needs is that it’s raw. The emotions are raw, the physical ailments/impairments are raw, and the reality and honesty of the individual and the situation is raw; it’s not packaged, cannot be ignored or contained, and there is no bow on top nor a way to fake one. I believe that coming in contact with those with special needs shows us our own brokenness, our imperfections, our selfish desires and pride, etc. For example, how do I complain about my weight and how I look when I’m face to face with someone whose external body is so badly deformed? How do I groan about my job as a mother when I’m faced with someone who cannot have kids or has them, but cannot play with them in the same manner because they’re confined to a wheelchair or not who they used to be after a traumatic brain injury? How do I struggle to find an emotional connection with a child who has autism and then complain that my teenager won’t “talk” to me? The reality is that we are uncomfortable with the imperfect and someone else’s more visible cognitive or physical imperfections make us come face to face with our internal ones. We become uncomfortable because we cannot fake compassion, we cannot fake the current priorities of our life, and we cannot fake a close walk with God. We want to see people as Jesus sees them, but either we fail to be able to see them this way or we do not know how, and either of those two responses shows us the reality of the depth of our walk.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment