Sunday, February 3, 2013

Rise of Scholasticism

I have been fascinated in my Systematic Theology class by the rise of scholasticism. “Scholastic theology is to the world of ideas what those cathedrals are to the world or architecture.” I love this mental picture! I was drawn to the idea of the rise of scholasticism because of the lack of it I see, and I am guilty of being a part of that. Scholasticism “placed an emphasis upon the rational justification of religious belief and the systematic presentation of those beliefs.” I think all too often we know the basic theology of what we believe, but if we were asked to support it or where it originates or why, etc. we are not ready to give an answer. I think there is huge value in being able to fully grasp a huge picture of what this thing called Christianity truly is. Faith is a wonderful thing, but sometimes it can be used as a means for excusing needing to know the basis for your faith. “I believe it, that’s why.” A wonderful argument, however, if you do not truly know the origin for that belief or that method of worship or whatever it might be, then how do you know that in a world of many ideas, that one specific idea is what you truly believe? How, as Christians, are we to fully answer to those around us who have deeper questions that cannot be answered by a single line or word or the phrase, “Well, this is how I grew up and what I was taught to believe.” I absolutely love the quote on page 34 that “typical scholasticism at its best is the appeal to reason, the logical marshaling of arguments, the relentless exploration of the implications of ideas, and the fundamental conviction, that, at its heart, the Christian gospel is rational and can be shown to be rational.” God has used this passage to truly convict me of my own lack of “digging” into each and every ounce of Scripture that I read and the history of events and the denomination that I am a part of, to truly see the whole picture and be able to have a greater faith as a result!

No comments:

Post a Comment